Register To Win

Utah Marriage License Requirements

STATE OF UTAH Marriage License Requirements

Marriage Licenses

To get married in Utah, you need to apply for a marriage license and have the marriage solemnized. You can apply for a marriage license at any county clerk’s office. Visit the Utah City and County page listed below for links to local government pages. Check with the county clerk’s office where you intend to get the marriage license for any specific requirements.

There is no waiting period before you can get married. As soon as you get your license, you can get married. However, the license is only valid for 30 days. If you do not have the marriage solemnized within that time, the license will expire.

You will need the following to apply for a marriage license:

  • An in-person application with both applicants present at the time of application.
  • Full names, addresses and dates and places of birth of both applicants.
  • Social security numbers of both applicants, unless an applicant doesn’t have a social security number.
  • Names and birth places of the parents of both applicants , including mother’s maiden name.
  • Valid picture ID such as a passport, birth certificate, driver license, or state ID card.

A license fee – this is charged in most counties, which includes two certified copies of the license. Note: Some counties do not charge a fee for the license, but do charge for the certified copies.

Who May Solemnize a Marriage

A minister, rabbi, priest, county clerk, Native American spiritual adviser, the governor, mayors, court commissioners and judges, as well as particular members of the legislature may perform wedding ceremonies. Two witnesses over 18 must also be present at the wedding ceremony.

The person who solemnizes the marriage must sign a certificate of marriage and files the certificate and the marriage license with the county clerk who issued the license.

Marriage of a Minor

Beginning May 14, 2019, you must be at least 16 years old to be married in Utah. If you are 18 or older, you do not need consent of a parent or guardian to get married.

If you are 16 or 17, you need signed consent from a parent or guardian, which must be given in-person to the county clerk before a marriage license will be issued.

  • You will also need to apply for approval of the marriage in juvenile court. The juvenile court must approve the marriage, and must conclude that the marriage is voluntary and in your best interests.
  • The juvenile court may require premarital counseling.
  • The juvenile court may impose other conditions, such as requiring you to continue to attend school.
  • The juvenile court may not approve the marriage if the age difference between the parties to the marriage is more than seven years.

If you are under 18 but you have been married before, you do not need consent a second time.

Marriage Between Relatives

You cannot marry your first cousin, or anyone related more closely than a first cousin, such as an aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, parent or child, brother or sister.

However, first cousins can marry if both are over 65, or, if both parties are over 55, if the court finds that they are unable to reproduce.

Void Marriages

The following marriages are void in Utah:

  • When one party is married to someone else.
  • When a party is a minor (under 18 years old), with the exception that if the party is 16 or 17 years old and consent has been given and juvenile court authorization has been obtained, or, if at the time of the marriage, the marriage was lawful.
  • When a party is divorced, but the decree is not final.

County Clerks Office Locations:

Beaver County Clerk
PO Box 392
Beaver, UT 84713-0392
Tel. (435) 438-6463
Fax (435) 438-6462

Box Elder County Clerk
1 S Main St
Brigham City, UT 84302-2548
Tel. (435) 734-3351
Fax (435) 723-7562

Cache County Clerk
179 N Main St Ste 102
Logan, UT 84321-5081
Tel. (435) 716-7150

Carbon County Clerk
120 E Main St
Price, UT 84501-3050
Tel. (435) 636-3227

Daggett County Clerk
PO Box 219
Manila, UT 84046-0219
(435) 784-3154

Davis County Clerk
PO Box 618
Farmington, UT 84025-0618
Tel. (801) 451-3324
Fax (801) 451-3421

Duchesne County Clerk
PO Box 910
Duchesne, UT 84021-0910
Tel. (435) 738-1123
Fax (435) 738-5522

Emery County Clerk
PO Box 907
Castle Dale, UT 84513-0907
Tel. (435) 381-5106
Fax (435) 381-5183

Garfield County Clerk
PO Box 77
Panguitch, UT 84759-0077
Tel. (435) 676-1100
Fax (435) 676-8239

Grand County Clerk
125 E Center St
Moab, UT 84532-2429
Tel. (435) 259-1321
Fax (435) 259-2959

Iron County Clerk
PO Box 429
Parowan, UT 84761-0429
Tel. (435) 477-8341
Fax (435) 477-8847

Juab County Clerk
160 N Main St
Nephi, UT 84648-1412
Tel. (435) 623-3410
Fax (435) 623-5936

Kane County Clerk
76 N Main St
Kanab, UT 84741-3209
Tel. (435) 644-2458
Fax (435) 644-2052

Millard County Clerk
765 S Highway 99 Ste 6
Fillmore, UT 84631-5032
Tel. (435) 743-6223
Fax (435) 743-6923

Morgan County Clerk
PO Box 886
Morgan, UT 84050-0886
Tel. 801-845-4011
Fax 801-829-6176

Piute County Clerk
PO Box 99
Junction, UT 84740-0099
Tel. (435) 577-2840
Fax (435) 577-2433

Rich County Clerk
PO Box 218
Randolph, UT 84064-0218
Tel. (435) 793-2415
Fax (435) 793-2410

Salt Lake County Clerk
Salt Lake County Complex
2001 S State St Ste 2200
Salt Lake City, UT 84190-1050
Tel. (801) 468-3519
Fax (801) 468-3440

San Juan County Clerk
PO Box 338
Monticello, UT 84535-0338
Tel. (435) 587-3223
Fax (435) 587-2425

Sanpete County Clerk
PO Box 100
Manti, UT 84642-0100
Tel. (435) 835-2131
Fax (435) 835-2135 

Sevier County Clerk
250 N Main St Ste 101
Richfield, UT 84701-2165
Tel. (435)893-0401
Fax (435)896-8888

Summit County Clerk
PO Box 128
Coalville, UT 84017-0128
Tel. (435) 336-3203

Tooele County Clerk
47 S Main St Rm 130
Tooele, UT 84074-2131
Tel. (435) 843-3140
Toll Free Telephone: (866) 704-3443, Ext. 3140

Uintah County Clerk
147 E Main St
Vernal, UT 84078-2603
Tel. (435) 781-5361
Fax (435) 781-6701

Utah County Clerk
100 E Center St Rm 3600
Provo, UT 84606-3106
Tel. (801) 851-8109
Fax (801) 851-8232

Wasatch County Clerk
25 N Main St
Heber City, UT 84032-1827
Tel. (435) 657-3190
Fax (435) 654-9924

Washington County Clerk
197 E Tabernacle St
Saint George, UT 84770-3443
Tel. (435) 634- 5712

Wayne County Clerk
18 S Main St
Loa, UT 84747
Tel. (435) 836-1300

Weber County Clerk
2380 Washington Blvd Ste 320
Ogden, UT 84401-1456
Tel. (801) 399-8400
Fax (801) 399-8300