Long after the preparations, the wedding vows, the first married kiss, the first dance, the hors d’oeuvres, and the sharing of wedding cake, your pictures will remain. Your pictures will remind you of everything wonderful about your wedding day. The decision on whether or not to hire a professional make-up artist is an important one. Their skills can tie together the look you have always dreamed of. Here are some tips:
- Ask your hair stylist, wedding photographer, videographer, reception center, etc…for a referral. These individuals often have preferred partners that they work with and will be happy to share their thoughts and opinions.
- Look online. Professional Make-up artists often have online portfolios and testimonials.
- Schedule a consultation before your wedding. Many make-up artists offer consultations for a minimal charge. This will allow you to meet the artist, review their work, and decide whether or not you want to schedule a trial.
- Ask specifically about the techniques they use to ensure you have a flawless finish. Be sure they have the experience you are looking for.
- Ask how the make-up artist sanitizes their equipment and make-up brushes. You might be surprised!
- Ask for references, wedding pictures, testimonials, etc. Do not hesitate to ask an artist for references that you can call. Questions should include if the artist was organized, on-time, performed quality work, and was friendly and flexible.
- If you have skin challenges, ask your make-up artist about their experience in working with your particular skin challenge.
- Once you decide upon an artist, schedule a trial. Your trial will be a deciding factor in who you decide to hire. Try to schedule your trial for early in the day. Wear your make-up for the entire day; see how it lasts, how it feels, and whether or not you will be comfortable wearing the make-up application on your wedding day.
- Most importantly, you should feel a level of personal comfort with your artist. The artist will be in your personal space on your wedding day. You want to feel confident that whatever challenges comes their way, they will be able to handle the challenge with grace and without drama.
By Terri Anne Meyer, founder of Aesthetic Artistry, LLC Spa Boutique . Terri Anne brings 12 years of make-up artistry experience and has received advanced training in make-up artistry for women of color, corrective make-up techniques, color analysis, and airbrush make-up artistry.